Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More Facebook

I have already joined some groups and added pages to my profile on Facebook but I never really understood the difference between pages and groups until I read this article. This time I became a fan of That's What She Said, John Ritter, Cornelia Funke and Ray Davies. Then I joined the Texas Library Association Members, Fans of Fablehaven and Fans of Sporcle groups. I think the most surprising person I've connected with on Facebook was a neighbor I haven't seen in 45 years. Even though I was 8 when we moved and he is now in his seventies, I still have vivid memories of him. He was such a kind, sweet man and a good friend to my entire family. I'm enjoying catching up with him. When I first joined Facebook, I was fairly obsessed with finding people from my past and frankly, that obsession has not let up a lot. I am finding more and more classmates, relatives and ex-coworkers all the time. And they are also finding me. It's a delightful two-way street. I think my favorite thing is finding former students all grown up with families of their own. Wow, it is hard for me not to think of them as children or teens and there they are with their own children. My favorite story is here the couple that actually met and became friends at my middle school library sleepover, Teen Reading Camp. I did not realize that down the road they had started dating and gotten married until I became friends with both of them on Facebook and put it together. I look forward to all the new old friends I will make on Facebook in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment